Hunting ForumsNeed Help?  Click Here.

Join the conversation.  With a quick free registration you can start talking hunting with hunters from across the country.  Already a member?  Log in to start talking hunting.

I Tried Corn
Last Post 10/10/2014 11:47:43 AM by Bioguy. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kdrtk

--
10/2/2014 1:19:28 PM
    I tried some roundup ready corn this yr in a section of my large plot where weeds had been a problem. It really turned out awesome and above my low expectations, as my soil is mostly sand in northern Wisconsin. So what is funny? I will get some pictures of the cornfield now, the Bears have it mostly torn down. None will be left when deer gun rolls around. Joke's on me I guess.
    kdrtk

--
    10/2/2014 1:29:46 PM
    I was going to add a before picture, but the attach file is not available when I post in this section.
    Bioguy

--
    10/8/2014 9:21:25 PM
    kdrtk - That's the exact reason I recommend not planting corn in bear country, or if you do, you gotta plant a lot of it. Lesson learned I guess. How big was the plot?
    kdrtk

--
    10/9/2014 12:56:52 PM
    It is about 1 acre, triangle shape corn plot. I planted the Roundup Ready corn partially as weed control, and partially as an experiment to see how it would go. Will be replaced with alfalfa/clover next fall, as I prefer perennials in the odd shaped plots (less turning around with the tractor). I have not fully written off the corn experiment yet. The bears knock everything down, but only seem to be consuming about 60% of the cobs. May end up being OK if there are still cobs on the ground thru November.
    Bioguy

--
    10/10/2014 11:47:43 AM
    I'm praying they don't clean it all out so you'll have something to hunt over this fall. I think it's a wise choice switching the plot over to a perennial plot. The plot will attract and be useful to deer for a longer period of time, and it will better tolerate browsing pressure. Clover/alfalfa will still attract bears, but the plot will still be there if they get into it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.